Thursday, September 24, 2009

Smile... :) Its your life


I was watching this program on TV, which struck me deeply.

The program was showing people who are less fortunate than us. People whom we term as "handicapped" or "disabled". They are people who do not have as much control over their bodies or minds as they would like. But what shocked me is their optimism. Many of us look at them, and immediately we feel sorry for them. We'll think, "oh they're so unfortunate. So pitiful." But to them, they might not think they're less fortunate. They're still enjoying lives, no matter how simple, how restricted. They're smiling widely, from the bottom of their hearts - something that the "more fortunate" people like us might even lack. Drowned by the things that we wrongly place our priorities and importance on. And I must admit, I'm one of these people! And no, I'm not saying the things we do or enjoy are wrong. Enjoy life! Never lose our optimisms nor our smiles! Whatever we do not get, whatever we lack, are simply not worth us taking beautiful smiles off our faces. That program really makes me rethink my perspective of life. Makes me want to reorder the priorities in my life. From that program, I see pure, natural, heartwarming love. What I just learned from Michelle - Agape love, which also stands for unconditional love. Sad to say, my love for even the closest people around me, is not unconditional. Not that whenever I do something for them I'd expect them to give me something back or what. But I'd expect them to feel... grateful? to love me back? But in the program, the love they demonstrated was so immense that I feel guilty about my almost feeble attempts at showing love. The love that the mother showed to her child, makes me regret the many times I took my mom for granted, snapping at her with impatience, when she's probably the one person who loves me the most in this physical world. And I'm actually quite shocked when I watched the news some time back, where they interviewed some old people at the old folks' home. I don't know if i'm too naive or what, but before that, I thought that most of the people living in the old folks' home have no family members left. And I'm stunned to see that most of those interviewed actually have children!!! And apparently the children dumped their parents in the Homes and didn't even bother visiting them for a few years!!! I can never understand how they even manage to do something like that. Its your MOM!! Your DAD!! They gave birth to you!! They fed you, showed you love, brought you up, asked for nothing in return..... and this is how you repay them!?!? I can almost feel the pain they must've been feeling when they told the reporters, with tears in their eyes, that their children don't even visit them.....

LoL didn't actually intend to write all these one haha! Just that.. Too many different thoughts swimming in my head right now.. Anyway, I'm not one to judge how people should treat their parents, or live their lives, or to smile or not.

No comments: